The Lord be with you
The President of the Southeastern District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (Rev. Dr. John Denninger) sent out the following letter that is basically a bidding prayer for this election day. It is a good one, so I thought I’d share it.
Blessings in Christ,
November 2, 2020
My brothers and sisters in Christ,
Dual citizenship helps us walk with balance – As we approach the final day of voting in our 2020 National Election, it’s helpful to remember that we are citizens of this earth and citizens of heaven.
Jesus taught us how to walk with balance – Remember how He submitted himself to the laws of the land, even though He was the King of Kings with all authority. Our dual citizenship helps us to walk through uncertain times on this earth with unique confidence.
Paul, as Roman citizen had a Jesus perspective: “But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body” (Phil 3:3).
Our Lord Jesus is the Reigning King over heaven and earth and so we confidently pray to Him –
Reigning King Jesus, as citizens of the United States of America, we give thanks to you:
• for allowing us to live in a land that gives each of us the ability to cast a vote
• for civil servants and volunteers who are in place to ensure a fair voting process
• for our elected leaders and those who will be elected
Reigning King Jesus, as citizens of heaven, we give thanks as we remember that You:
• sit at Your Father’s right hand in the position of all power and authority (Matt 28:20)
• did not count equality with God something to be grasped, but took on the form of a servant in our behalf (Phil 2:6-8)
• elected us to be recipients of your love and grace in the waters of baptism (Ephesians 1:4-6)
Reigning King Jesus, as citizens of the United States of America, we pray
• You would give Your wisdom from above to our elected leaders that they would lead in Your ways
• You would interrupt the plans of any who sow division and plot evil among us
• You would bring peace to our cities and calm to our land
Reigning King Jesus, as citizens of heaven, we pray
• You will fill us with faith when we begin to feel afraid (John 16:33)
• You will prepare us to give an answer for those who are amazed by our hope (I Peter 3:15)
• You will give us the grace needed to love each of our neighbors with your love (Luke 10:25ff)
For Yours is the kingdom and the power, and the glory forever and ever. Amen